:~>True.  The Windows installation is typically easier than *any* linux distro,
:~>even the almighty (and it is, IMHO) Mandrake.

Nop. It is not easier, but it works on more hardware. Though I have seen
2 machines where LM would install but Windows would not ;->.

:~>Consider the fact that Microsoft spends $$$$$$ on employees whose sole
:~>purpose is to understand how the computer disinclined people think.
:~>Consider the fact that Microsoft founded itself with the purpose of
:~>producing an OS that *anyone* can install and use on *any* machine (i386
:~>based mostly).

This is not our real problem: Consider the fact that hardware manufactures
write their Windows drivers themselves, then PAY microsoft to test these
drivers and become "certified for windows"... On the other hand, this
same manufacturers are often reluctant to even publish the specs needed
to write linux drivers... You got the picture?

:~>Linux is for sure on the way however, and Mandrake (IMHO) is really helping
:~>to push this.

The fact is: ca 50% of our efforts are on "hardware
support" (kernel-tweaking, recognition, automatic configuration)
front, but we are still a small company with very limited resources, and
more often than not we are still sailing against the wind....

Keeping this in mind, our hardware support is asstounding. I know that
this does not help the people who could not install on their hardware at
home, but every one is invited to help himself: Subscribe to cooker, talk
to people, find the reason for your problems and help us solve it.

And one last tip: think before buying a hardware. Always ask for hardware
which works problemlessly under linux, if needed write to manufacturer
before purchasing, and if it does not return it back to shop. This is
exactly how windows users would react if they buy a piece of hardware
which does not work, so just do the same and all of the sudden your
problems become manufacturers problems...

have fun ;->

        Denis
Dr. Denis Havlik                <http://www.ap.univie.ac.at/users/havlik>
Mandrakesoft            |||     e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Quality Assurance      (@ @)    (private: [EMAIL PROTECTED])
visit our new discusion forum: http://forum.mandrakesoft.com