On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, you wrote:

> Hey Sarang,
>
> Your not the only one disappointed in 7.1. Out of two computers in the house,
> a laptop and a desktop, the laptop had no sound and the desktop just did not get
> the X server running due to incompatability with a listed video card. Also out
> of a number of other desktops at a linux group I go to weekly, a lot more
> failures came from various installations and upgrades.
>
> Looking at 7.1 from the laptop, I ask the question, why did they not improve
> what they already had in 7.0 and not start from scratch?
>        Where was menu editor?
>        Why did they not install a search engine for K-menu with the tree setup
> they also installed, it took a minute or two to find something (ie.kpackage) if
> you happen to forget where it is? (Compare this to 7.0)
>        Why get rid of Application, Device, etc. from desktop mouse right-click?
>
> Basically you would think with a newer version you could install on any prior
> installable computer plus any new ones unknown to the prior version. But NO! not
> with Mandrake 7.1 or is it (7.1(Beta)). No it should be called 7.1(Failure).
>
> Simon

It was not ridded unless you run as root.  It was one of the differences
integrated into root to encourage people to run (properly) as user.  It does no
good to design proof against viruses if people operate in an insecure manner.
It also defeats security settings to run as root.  The other possibility is
your security level is too high.  High and paranoid settings work best with
headless servers.  I get along on development systems and workstations with
Medium or Low (behind firewalls, of course).

The menu editor, you could have discovered by reading the new and rather
excellent doc.  It isn't ready yet, but the new menu structure is part of
standardizing and is taken from Debian.  And how to work with it is documented
in several locations.  One place is at the "Documentation" section on your
machine. Another would be to search on "menu structure" in the cooker archives.
 Obviously Mandrakesoft needed to tell its packagers how to deal with the new
menu.

Well, now you can use Kpackage as a user by going through DrakConf which you
could NOT in previous versions.  Probably the need to logout and login as root
just to load a package with a graphic tool encourages folks to operate as root.

Have your linux group bring their problems here and let's work on them.
Everyone said there is too little delta for a new distro release--wait for
KOffice and KDE2.  Looks like Mandrake called this one right--There was enough
delta that people are having problems adapting.  Everyone can learn from such
an interaction, including the folks at Mandrake who can see what changes cause
the most problems for people.

Perhaps it is time for a fork into "Designed for specific hardware installs for
desktops for newer users" and "Designed for people who buy bleeding edge
hardware and hack on the configuration and know how to find manuals to read
(and have the knowledge to understand the terms they use)"

Civileme

And I have had to hack on some installs...  A NEC Powermate 2000 produced a
cranky video for an i810 chipset and needed to be adjusted--video memory wasn't
detected properly and the BIOS would not allow setting Video memory either.
Anda Yamaha OPL3 ISA PnP sound card gave 7.1 fits.  There is a new edition of
Harddrake out which fixes this second one and REALLY improves sound installs,
but cranky videos are still pretty common.

In trying to adapt current servers for new chipsets, sometimes older ones are
made more difficult.  For example, in 7.0 most of the Trident drivers were
accelerated except in 24 bit mode.  Many of my Tridents would NOT work with 7.0
though they worked fine with 6.1, because they would not sync with my monitors
in accelerated mode.  I had to hack on XF86Config and take out unused modelines
as well as set the "noaccel" Option in the Device Section.  I had 9660s 9680s
9685s, 975 and 985 AGP types, and I was wondering why this was so tiresome
until I used a CyberBlade which would NOT work in 6.1 with all the tweaking I
could try, and it went in smoothly and could play 3D games.

Of course it is frustrating when the configuration you have does not work out
of the box, but this used to be a rule--30 minutes installing and 5 weeks
hacking on the configuration.  Now there a lot of folks joining who haven't yet
learned those tricks.  Bashing on the distro makers won't improve the
situation, LEARNING and interaction will.  You do not have to learn enough to
fix bugs, only to find them, and you can perform a valuable service to
yourselfd and the computing world.

For those whose taste is "click it, it might work", there is always
Microsoft.  If someone is stuck there, I just hope he doesn't stumble across
situations where one NIC will be recognized, and another NIC will be recognized
but not both together, and any attempt at a manual install has a wizard popping
up saying "NONO, I have to detect that for you" and he was trying a manual
install because it didn't...  Grrrrr.

All that said, kudzu (RH) could use some major improvements--It knocks itself
out losing the same hardware every boot (and I am booting more these days to
pick up on boot errors).

Civ