On Sun, 23 Jul 2000, Anton Graham wrote:

> Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 22:03:54 -0700
> From: Anton Graham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [expert] ALSA & Yamaha XG
>
> Submitted 24-Jul-00 by Sevatio Octavio:
> > Some of you mentioned that you were able to get ALSA to work for Yamaha
> > XG cards.  And you said that ALSA sounded better than OSS.  I'm currently
> > using the OSS driver.  Could you tell me if ALSA gives you bass & treble
> > controls or is it a hardware issue?
>

> AFAIK, no soundcard has _driver_ controlled bass/treble under any OS.
> What you may have seen in the past is a kind of preprocessing software
> that performs the same function.

Are you sure, that not even possibly the extremely high-end soundcards
from Yamaha do such processing? I know that they have an XG chip on them,
that handles the midi rendering, but maybe it does the bass and stuff
too. There is a setting for Bass on on SonySetup under windows. I haven't
tested to see if the settings affected Linux yet, but knowing Yamaha
chips, they may have enough logic on them to do that job. Then again, you
can correct me if you know more about the chip. I'd really like to find
out what level of ability the chip has on it's own.

--
Regards,

Ellick Chan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]