Hi
My pronblem came about when trying to UPGRADE my kernel to 2.2.16
It would not re-boot and failed with a kernel panick
I tracked this down to the Ramdisk boot option VFS failed , kernel panick
which appears to be related to the initrd=initrd.img line in /etc/lilo.conf
refering to initrd.img soft link in /boot
How does this come about
No I installed  the exact same Mandrake 7.1 CD on three diofferent machines, on
two it comes up with this initrd stuff, on the thrid it just did a plain
install and the eleant files in /boot were the kernel and System.map, no initrd
stuff
I see no install time selection to choose this type of boot process, either in
expert or custom or automated install

I did find some docs on it , but I cannot find it again

You see when you come to do an rpm upgrade of the kernel no new initrd is
generated. If this line is left out of lilo.conf it will not bot that kernel

Please someone explain this , or point me to the docs for it
Thanks

phil

 --
Phil Risby