What do you have TIMEOUT set to in lilo.conf?

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, Marco Fioretti wrote:

= Hello,
=
= Thanks to all who made suggestions for my LILO
= problem (it would not recognize the default label,
= i.e. it would not start after 5 seconds as set up
= in /etc/lilo.conf.
=
= I have tried all your suggestions with LILO, i.e. creating
= a /boot separate partition, placing it and/or / at the
= beginning of the drive, giving them different partitions types
= and/or names (/dev/hda1, /dev/hda5, ....).
=
= Eventually I just gave up. Now I have a system which still
= won't boot by itself, i.e. wait forever at the LILO prompt.
= If I just hit enter, or type linux, it boots fine, and MANDRAKE 7.1
= looks quite cool, actually.
=
= The boot thing sucks, but since it's not a server box, I
= can live with it, temporarily.
= When I'll have perfected a backup procedure for the whole
= drive, I'll try again to fiddle with LILO and/or GRUB.
=
= A final note however: the problem is not just that this version of
= LILO doesn't likes > 1024 cylinders, because:
=
= 1) SAME HD and BIOS worked just fine with MANDRAKE 6.1
=
= 2) As I showed in the original posting, I did put either / or /boot
= at the beginning of the drive (or so the install tool told me)
=
= 3) I am surely missing something here, but is it possible that LILO
= doesn't see more than 1024 cylinders.... unless you just hit <ENTER>?
=
= 4) A clue for whoever can understand it: the big differences between
= my self-booting Mandrake 6.1 install and this are:
=
=       I installed 6.1 with LILO on the MBR: I wasn't given this option
=       during the expert installation process.
=
=       With 6.1, I just choose two partitions, / and swap. This time,
=       feeling though I wanted to have /, /usr, and /home on separate
=       partitions.
=
= Thanks again to all who helped and to whoever just went through
= all this rambling. Any light is appreciated.
=
=
=               Ciao,
=                               Marco