-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Mark Weaver
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2000 9:51 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [expert] Vmware??? How to use it.

Stephen Bosch wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Mark Weaver wrote:
>
> > sorry about that. I assumed that it was understood that I had Linux
> > running and was attempting to get vmware installed and running. I was
> > trying to get it running on my home machine, but today at work I did get
> > it running only to find out that the stinkin software costs a wopping
$330
> > dollars to register. For software that turns out to be more of a luxary
> > than a necessity I think that's outrageous!
>
> Well, think carefully about how much work has to go in developing a
> virtual machine application. Personally, the $330 licence fee is not
> surprising.
>
> VMWare works *very* well -- and it is one of the first virtual machines to
> do so.
>
> -Stephen-

Yes...I'm finding that out. As the day progresses and I'm using Vmware
more and more...getting used to it and all that $330 fee is getting
smaller and smaller. Especially the $90 fee for the home user! I'm REAL
pumped about that and fully intend to get that license at the very
least.

It's running quite well here at work, although I'm having quite a time
getting the video and ethernet configured correctly. I've got an intel
video card, but I can only have the the display adapter set as a
Standard PCI card with 16 colors, and a 3Com 10/100 ethernet card that
isn't being used. Instead when Vmware started up and was configuring
everything Windows, under Vmware installed and configured an AMD PCI
ethernet card. Not sure what's up with that stuff yet. As soon as I
started to fiddle with trying to get the correct video drivers installed
the performance went down the crapper REAL fast.

Is there a way to allocate more or less memory with VMware? At the
moment VMware has 47MB allocated for Windows to run on while I've got
128MB physical in the machine. Linux's memory management being what it
is I don't think it's going to mind if more is allocated to run windows
under Vmware.

Mark