I got a DEC 520 terminal and I would like to hook it up to my linux box via a serial connections.  I haven't looked to hard but are their any howto's on the subject?

1.  I got my inintab containing entries for both my serial portss ttyS0 & ttyS1.
2.  I run ps -aux and my 8 terminals are running tty1-6,ttyS0,ttyS1.

3.  Securetty?  what does that do? currently no entries for ttyS0,ttyS1.

4.  /etc/mgetty+sendfax/mgetty.config
#blah blah blah
port ttyS0
direct y
speed 19200
toggle dtr-n  ?  what does this do?

5. I configured the terminl to vt-100 at 19,200 on com1 in the terminal, is their anything else I am missing?

My friend and system administrator at fsc gave me two custom ends used on our vms box.  They are custom ends which allow catg-5 to be ran between them.  I know they are wired properly.

I treid to echo something to the terminal as a test.
I tried "echo ttyS0 scumbag"  nothing.

Bad Terminal?

any help would be greatly accepted

thresher