> Kenneth Kline wrote:
>
> I got a DEC 520 terminal and I would like to hook it up to my linux
> box via a serial connections.  I haven't looked to hard but are their
> any howto's on the subject?

Have a look at the Text-Terminal HOWTO
<http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Text-Terminal-HOWTO.html> (May also be
already on your local machine if you chose to install all documentation)

> 1.  I got my inintab containing entries for both my serial portss
> ttyS0 & ttyS1.

What have you got there? Here's mine (running vt100 emulation on an XT):

S0:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -s 19200 -r -D ttyS0

> 3.  Securetty?  what does that do? currently no entries for
> ttyS0,ttyS1.

This file is a list of the places that root is allowed to log in from.
Shouldn't make any difference when you're logging in as an ordinary
user, but if you want to log in as root from the terminal you'd need to
add ttyS0 to this.

> 4.  /etc/mgetty+sendfax/mgetty.config

I've got nothing at all in this file relating to my terminal on ttyS0 -
I think you can just put the options into /etc/inittab. All I did on the
Linux box was put the above line into /etc/inittab and restarted the
process, and that worked fine. You might also try getting rid of the
ttyS1 stuff, just using ttyS0 for everything. Is there a reason you
wanted to run a getty on both ttyS0 and ttyS1?

> I tried "echo ttyS0 scumbag"

I don't think that would actually work, even if everything was set up
right (doesn't this just print 'ttySO scumbag' to the console you
entered it from?). What you should see on the terminal is a login prompt
- if you don't see that then something's wrong. HTH.

Tom