I don't think make oldconfig is what this person is after.

From: http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html

`make oldconfig' will attempt to configure the kernel from an old
configuration file; it will run through the `make config' process
for you. If you haven't ever compiled a kernel before or don't have
an old config file, then you probably shouldn't do this, as you will
most likely want to change the default configuration.

> I think make oldconfig I what your after. (Someone else please conferm
> this)
>
> Cheers,
> Scott

"... all thoughts of selfish desire, ill-will, hatred and
 violence are the result of a lack of wisdom ... "
 - Buddha

For an awsome fantasy role playing game checkout:
http://members.xoom.com/Lycadican