OK, I'm just winging this here.

Shutdown says it looks in /var/run/utmp to see if the 'authorized user'
listed in /etc/shutdown.allow is logged in.

Now /var/run/utmp  sounds suspiciously like something that disappears every
time you restart. So...

Maybe you could just have the start up script add a phony user name to this
file. Then with that same user name listed in /etc/shutdown.allow you're
good to go.

messing with /var/run/utmp may be a very bad idea.

This sounds reasonable to me but someone who actually knows what they're
talking about should say if this is crazy or not.

Gvain