Just out of curiosity have you contacted IBM at all?  They support Linux on
thier laptops I'm juts not sure to what extent or if its only for specific
models.  Currently I am running Mandrake 7.1 on a Compaq Armada and it was
less than fun getting it installed as well but eventually I got it working
properly.  There is a ton more support than there used to be (about 3 years
ago) for laptops ..... Linux was never really meant to be a laptop O/S but
its gotten to a point where once you do get it working, it's solid as a
rock.  Another thing to check would be the site for your distribution to
see what it shows for supported hardware etc and maybe look into grabbing a
different distribution.  Good Luck!!

Lonny Selinger
Systems Adminstration Associate
EDS Canada