On Thu, 24 Aug 2000, Mike Rambo pushed some tiny letters in this order:
> Alan N wrote:
> >
> > lorne schachter wrote:
> > >
> > > I've got two copies of the Mandrake 7.1 CD, one from Maximum Linux mag
> > > and one from Linux
> > > Labs.  In either case, when I try to boot from them, it gets past 2nd
> > > stage ram disk and
> > > config CDROM and then exits with signal 11.
> >
> > >From what I have learned at installfests from my local linux guru's, a
> > sig 11 just about ALWAYS means a hardware problem of some type.
> >
> > Alan
>
> This reminds me that there are instances where it would be incredibly
> useful to have a list of what the different signals mean.  Does anyone
> know where one exists?

Running 'kill -l' will give you a list of signal names and numbers. Check
/usr/include/bits/signum.h for further (although brief) explanations of the
signals. A good linux programming book will explain the most frequently used
signals. Signal 11 is a segmentation violation meaning the program tried to
do something with memory it wasn't supposed to, eg. dereferencing a null
pointer.

Tony