Submitted 27-Aug-00 by TriOptimum:
> I would like to install the xfree 4.01 i download on my Linux Mandrake 7.1.
> . my question is.. is it easy to install it over the xfree4.0???

Yes.  It's is pretty straightforward _if_ you are using Mandrake RPMS.

> And what i have to backup to be sure that if something goes wrong i can
> replace the old xfree without problems?

Just keep a copy of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and your old XF4 rpms.

> And last question because Linux Mandrake has some different named dirs
> than default Linux.. Should i change or rename something before trying to
> install the xfree 4.01.. have anyone tried it yet? Any advice for me?

L-M does _not_ have non-standard dirs.  What you will discover, however, is
that upgrading to new cooker RPMS at this point can cause complications. The
reasoning is simple.  All documentation is moving from /usr to /usr/share
per FHS (the Filesystem Heirarchy Standard).  Because of this, man and info
pages installed by new cooker RPMS will be inaccessible with the man and
info packages shipped with L-M 7.1 and earlier.  Therefore it is important
to upgrade those packages as well.

As for whether you need to rename anything, absolutely not if you are doing
an RPM based install.  If you are working from the tarballs available from
xfree.org, I would first caution you to not use that version of XF 4.01.

Upgrading anything in an RPM based distribution from a tarball is a Bad Idea
(tm), because dependancies for installing RPMS are satisfied only by
checking the RPM database.  If you have XF 4.01 and RPM thinks you have XF 4,
then you won't be able to install packages that specifically require XF 4.01.

Yes, I have tried it, I have been running XF 4.01 practically since it
became available.

--
Anton Graham                            GPG ID: 0x18F78541
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                 RSA key available upon request

Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original
in your work.
  -- Flaubert