> TriOptimum wrote:
>
> I would like to install the xfree 4.01 i download on my Linux Mandrake
> 7.1.. my question is.. is it easy to install it over the xfree4.0???
> And what i have to backup to be sure that if something goes wrong i
> can replace the old xfree without problems? And last question because
> Linux Mandrake has some different named dirs than default Linux..
> Should i change or rename something before trying to install the xfree
> 4.01.. have anyone tried it yet? Any advice for me?

Hello,

I have had a hard time getting XF86 4.0.1 to run with LM7.1 and my
SiS6326 chip but I have finally done it thanks to advice I had forgotten
from chunnuan chen on 31MAR.  Previous posts got me good advice but not
the answer.
I recommend you create a directory xbackup in /root and copy to it
/etc/X11 and /usr/X11R6.  They allow you to recover if you have a
disaster.  Then follow the install procedure, noting the requirement to
edit /etc/termcap manually.  I ran xf86config and had to add the Option
"sw_cursor" for the SiS6326 chip.  Then, the most important tip from
chunnuan is to replace /etc/X11/xdm with the original from
/root/xbackup/X11.  That makes kdm work.  Also, I had to remove
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 which was configured by XFdrake, was wrong and
appeared to be trying to run in preference to XF86Config.
Anyway, these steps have worked for me.  I wish you similar success.  I
am going to stick a copy of this message to my forehead in case I forget
again.
Regards.
--
Dennis Robertson  2/2 Sylvia Street  NOOSAVILLE QLD 4566
Phone: 61 7 54742343  Mob: 0419 535539