on 8/27/00 3:21 PM, Alexander Skwar  wrote:

> Hello, World!
>
> I've got some files on my FAT partitions which I created with Windows 98
> containing Umlauts (ä,ö,ü,ß) in their filenames.
>
> For example, I've got a file called "Test für mich.txt".  When I list that
> dir in Windows, the filename is displayed correctly.  But when I display the
> directory in Linux the name is scrambled, ie. it becomes "Test f?r mich.txt"
> when doing an ls, trying to mv the file is even "funnier".  There it becomes
> Test\ fr\ mich.txt, and when I move the textcursor left and right over the
> filename it becomes shorter and shorter every time.
>
> And when I create a file containg an Umlaut with Linux, Linux will display
> that name correctly.  But being in Windows, Widnows won't be able to access
> that file.
>
> I mount that partition with the option "codepage=850".  What's broken here?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Alexander Skwar

It is a translation problem.

Windows, Mac and UNIX all have different codes for diacriticals and most
other things not found in the basic set of characters. This is why you have
to encode them in HTML to make it cross platform. If the computer doesn't
know what character a code represents you get funny results - like a box or
garbage in your HTML or disappearing / jumpy text. It is a legacy of the
early days of computing where everyone spoke English and the computers
barely had the memory to cover that. Unicode is supposed to fix this.

I would also guess that the console doesn't have a font with umlauts anyway.

Gavin