on 30/8/2000 9:44 AM, adam narel at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have a question regarding Mandrake 7.1 and a Adaptec AHA2940u2w SCSI card.
> There are two LVD drives connected to the LVD SCSI Wide connector and three
> Ultra SCSI Narrow drives connected to the Narrow connector on the card.
> Durning boot up I see that LVD drives are recognized as capable of working
> of 40MBps speed, no LVD - 80 MBps. Why is it so? Is Mandrake fully
> supporting my SCSI card or should I search for a patch or new kernel?

Well, my problem is now solved.

For your information, the problem was an external hard drive with Narrow
SCSI interface. Adaptec AHA 2940u2w has an external SCSI wide connector,
which is of the same type as internal LVD connector. So, I had an external
SCSI Narrow drive and it was reported as LVD (because of the SCSI cable I
used -- Wide HP68 to C50M). That drive had to slow all LVD branch down.

I removed the drive and connected it to SCSI Narrow connector, inside the
computer box. This time durninig boot up both LVD drives (IBM) were reported
running of 80MBps speed.

As for the card BIOS, I had ver 2.20 and I am happy with it. Adaptec has a
new version on his web site, but I will stick to the older one. My BIOS
detects devices like it should be, and LVD drives were detected right.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions,
--
regards

Adam Narel