On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Jason Pierce wrote:

> Hello all,  I'm thinking about building a new system.  Does anyone know of
> a(n inexpensive?) mobo that can house 2 Athlon Thunderbirds that works with
> linux?  I have heard that Tyan(www.tyan.com) is supposed to be shipping one
> sometime this month, but could find no refference to it on the Tyan site.

Nope, sorry.

> There are no dual boards listed in the AMD recommended list.

> I'm thinking about using the system as a high traffic LAN server,
> and/or high-end gaming system.

A LAN server hardly needs to be a dual athlon....

> For the gaming part, what would be a good sund card and speaker
> system?  Are there any sound cards compatable with linux that have
> multiple sound in ports?  I would like to beable to attach a cd
> changer, record player, tape deck, etc.

How about an SB Live!  I have one, and it's great.  I use the Cambridge
SoundWorks FourPointSurround sound speakers, and they're great.

> Some of the Dolby speaker systems are pretty nice, anyone have any
> experience with them?

Nope, sorry.

> I plan on using a Voodoo 5(or latest Voodoo at time of building) for
> video.

What about the latest NVidia chip?  Reviews I've read
(www.tomshardware.com) say they're faster.

> I would also like to use multiple PCI UDMA/100 controller cards.  Is
> it possible to use more than one PCI hard drive controller card?

Yep!

> Thanks, Jason Pierce

Sure thing.

-- Asheesh Laroia.

--
No user-servicable parts inside.  Refer to qualified service personnel.