Thus spake D. R. Evans ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

> On 7 Sep 00, at 16:50, D. R. Evans wrote:
>
> After more messing around, I do now have a conf.modules that seems to
> load the right drivers.
>
> > Ignoring these problems for a moment I read that in order to record audio,
> > once I have ALSA correctly installed, I need to issue the following:
> >
> > cat /proc/asound/card1/pcm0p > wherever
> >

> However, there is no pcm0p....
>
> I have seen the above command line in several places as being the right one
> to record what's happening on the card.
>
> > But in my installation there is no card<n> subdirectory in /proc/asound.
> > There is a file called /proc/asound/cards. When I cat that it simply says
> > "no sound cards installed". Which is very odd, because I can certainly hear
> > audio from the card.
> >

> This is now solved; I do have a card1 directory; just no pcm0p file :-( So
> I still can't record anything.

I didn't try the command-line version but using ALSA with an SB-live
KSoundrecord works spiffily - in fact I keep filling up my 10GB
partition! (I'm currently digitising old tapes and have already burned
25 CDs with another several to go).

(KSoundrecorder uses either sox or sound-recorder)
--
|Deryk Barker, Computer Science Dept. | Music does not have to be understood|
|Camosun College, Victoria, BC, Canada| It has to be listened to.           |