Submitted 07-Sep-00 by D. R. Evans:

> There is nothing that tells me what to call the card (not in the
> distribution that I have anyway). The driver is certainly snd-ens-1371, but
> in the conf.modules I am supposed to have a line that says:
> alias snd-card-0 <something>
> and nothing I have gives me a clue as to what value <something> should take.

Ignore the snd-ens-1371 bit.  ALSA depends on card definitions not driver
definitions. Assuming you have all the correct aliases set up to get things
running for OSS compatibility and such, try:

alias snd-card-0 snd-card-ens1371
options snd-card-ens1371 snd_index=0 snd_id="ENS1371"

If you need the correct definitions for the rest, look at an earlier post of
mine on the subject of ESS 18xx cards.

> Ignoring these problems for a moment I read that in order to record audio,
> once I have ALSA correctly installed, I need to issue the following:
>
> cat /proc/asound/card1/pcm0p > wherever
>
> But in my installation there is no card<n> subdirectory in /proc/asound.
> There is a file called /proc/asound/cards. When I cat that it simply says
> "no sound cards installed". Which is very odd, because I can certainly hear
> audio from the card.

That directory is part of the proc filesystem and generated dynamically
based on the ALSA driver(s) loaded.  You won't have card directories until
ALSA is running.

> So I restate my plea: if someone actually has ALSA working with a Sound
> Blaster AudioPCI 128 card or an Ensoniq 1371, could they please send me a
> copy of their conf.modules file?

Actually I don't use either card in any machine, but ALSA configuration is
the same for most cards.  Similar configs (with only different card
definitions) work on an SB-16, ESS 1868, YMF-724D, and an ESS Solo.

--
Anton Graham                            GPG ID: 0x18F78541
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                 RSA key available upon request

"Conversion, fastidious Goddess, loves blood better than brick, and feasts
most subtly on the human will."
  -- Virginia Woolf

PGP signature