The text file structure in Unix is slightly different from that in windows.
You'll noticed, occassionally, that if you open some Unix-created text files
in Windows notepad/word you may see little blocks at line's end.

I'm not sure that the "carriage return" is different in the oses, but they
seem to handle the end-of-line differently. And I think (again, not sure)
that there are a few different ways of handling this.

--greg