Greg Stewart wrote:

> The text file structure in Unix is slightly different from that in windows.
> You'll noticed, occassionally, that if you open some Unix-created text files
> in Windows notepad/word you may see little blocks at line's end.
>
> I'm not sure that the "carriage return" is different in the oses, but they
> seem to handle the end-of-line differently. And I think (again, not sure)
> that there are a few different ways of handling this.
>
> --greg

End of line character in Unix is a single linefeed character Hex 0A

In Dos systems it is a carriage-return linefeed pair 0A 0D

If you are to convert from one to the other you need to add or
remove the corresponding character - no mean feat if there is
a lot of data involved, text or otherwise.

If you are dealing with binary encoded data - then you have an even
greater problem to deal with.

Cheers

--
ICQ# 89345394     Mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]