I had a similar question several months ago (except I needed to print,
not dump). Some kind soul suggested using xv, which comes with the
distribution. It works incredibly well, and you have the option of
printing or saving the screen capture. As a bonus, it will capture a
single window insted of the entire desktop if you wish.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

Wayne