I am presently running a Mandrake 7.1 system and am, bit by bit,
upgrading to
a 7.2-ish system.  This last weekend I downloaded the source XFree86-4.0.1
rpm from the Cooker/7.2beta directory at rufus.rpmfind and tried to
build it.

Multiple tries, multiple failures.  I have kernel-2.2.17 (self compiled
from a
tarball using buildkernel), rpm-3.0.5 (from Cooker), and glibc-2.1.3-16mdk,
each also compiled from source rpms (without problem).

What happens with XFree86 is that the src.rpm installs fine and, apparently,
the source is successfully compiled but no binary rpms are created.  The
compilation completes and I get all the "finding rpm-requires" messages,
NO error messages, and no binary rpms.  I have tried multiple times but
the result is, naturally, the same.  I get no failed dependency messages.

Usually, I have found that if this happens, I CAN go to the source directory
and run "make install" and the package will install THAT way, and usually
work just fine.  So...I don't understand the problem.  Why wont rpm BUILD
THE DAMN RPM?!

Can anyone give me any pointers or things to check that might cause this
behavior or better, FIX the problem?

praedor