"Surik S. Mehrabian" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When i activating "SINGLE MODE" ( for ex. from lilo prompt -
> linux S / 1 or just init 1 from the muliuser Mode),
> it never ask me for the root password.
>
> How to prevent this kind of "opening".
> I am using Mandrake 6.1 ;

You would have to set up LILO for a password. Once you do this make sure
to CHMOD 700 (as root) lilo.conf or you just wasted your time because
your lilo password is saved in plain text.

Add the following lines to lilo.conf:

prompt
timeout=0
restricted
password=some_password # change some_password to a password you will
remember

After the file has been changed, don't forget to run /sbin/lilo to
commit the changes.

What this will do is always prompt for a login, will not allow you to
get past the prompt, and will expect the password if there are any
parameters passed to LILO from the prompt. eg linux 1

Mike