Internet connection sharing? You didn't mention if that was enabled...Mine runs
fine. You should have an icon in the tray for it if it is running.
I used static addresses 192.168.0.x for the NIC's that connect to the
hub. Don't try to connect the ethernet cable from the modem directly to the
hub. It don't work! You need to run from the modem to the gateway machine then
from the gateway machine NIC to the hub and connect yours to the hub. If you
run it that way...you will need to get another IP from @home for somethig like
$5 a month. This way is similar to IP masquerading. ICS will change your
internal IP(192.168.0.x is a good set to use) to 24.x.x.x or whatever you're
assigned via @home service...but it's always best to connect with server
assigned dynamic addressing(DHCP) just in case. I had numerous probs trying to
connect using my assinged IP.

modem-->ethernet converter-->win98 NIC or USB-->hub<--linux client
                ^(if you use USB)

ICS turns your machine into a server DHCP or static addressing depending upon
how you set the intranet NIC's. Then with the proper mask for the NIC's (try
255.255.255.0) and use DHCP(server assigned addressing) for your @home
connection. Then hopefully the Billy Gate$ magickal ICS will  forward those
packets to the outside world.  Send a reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED] if
you'd like me to take a little time this week and explain all the numbers I
used...as a matter of fact this is being sent from a linux client to you via
win98 :P I use USB myself to connect my modem with a SMC ethernet converter,
not a normal NIC.

On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, you wrote:

> hi,
>
> I just purchased and installed Mandrake 7.1 on a system with an ethernet pro
> 100 network card. I have a cable modem (@home.com), a hub and 1 other
> (win98) computer. The strange thing is that i can ping and connect to-from
> my win98 computer, but i can't access the outside world at all from the
> linux box. I can't even ping the gateway, which i can do from my win98
> computer. I've checked and double-checked my settings (both ip number and
> default gateway) and for the life of me..i can't figure it out. I've
> configured many systems before have never seen this. I thought it might have
> something to do with the autonegotiation with the network card and the hub
> or a bad cable...but you'd think if there was a problem, i wouldn't be able
> to connect to my win98 machine.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks
> -Andy