Praedor Tempus wrote:

> I need to print to network printers at school.  They WERE samba shares
> until
> recently, and I could print to them via the samba printserver.  Now,
> they
> are setup to be printed to directly.  Problem is, I don't know how to
> set up
> the printers in this way.
>
> Using printerdrake, there are no options for this:  local printer,
> remote lpd (unix), or
> samba.  That's it.  With the redhat printtool, there is an additional
> option for setting
> up a direct to port printer.  I just don't know if THIS is the proper
> method.
>
> I need to print to the IP address of the printers, setup as lp, lp0,
> etc.  How does
> one set this up?

Not only must you know the IP address of the print server (which
I thnk you do), but you must also know the name of the printer
(a.k.a. queue name) that is attached to the print server.  That
is because print servers can have more than 1 parallel port, so,
obviously, can serve more than 1 printer.  Each of these printers
must have an associated queue name.

I easily used printtool 3.40 (which came with Mdk6.0) to set up
my HP L-J 1100 (using the L-J 4 driver), once I knew the the IP
addr & queue name.

Ron
| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      WWW : [EMAIL PROTECTED]     |
| Most overused words: feel, cool/kewl, fun, myBlah.com    |
| Most underused word: think                               |