All,
    I've recently installed kde2beta4 from 7.2 beta on my backup boxen and
I've got the following problems.  If I try to login from the login manager
for kde It keeps giving me login failed messages.  When I login from the
Console no problem.  (Root all users etc)  If I boot to init level 3 and
then run startx it starts... gives me the kde splash screen.... and then
drops out of X!  Worst of all I can't find any error messages.  All I've
got in /var/log is a bunch of messages saying UserX attempted to login,
login failed.  The why is nowhere I'm finding. (Ok I admit it if I knew
enough to find it I wouldn't be asking *grin*)  I've even tried to replace
XF86Config with the pre X4.0 XF86Config and no such luck.  arrggghh. I've
installed the following packages.

For KDE

htdig-3.1.5-6mdk.i586.rpm*
kde1-compat-1.1.2-6mdk.i586.rpm*
kdeaddutils-1.94-4mdk.i586.rpm*
kdebase-1.94-1mdk.i586.rpm*
kdebase-1.94-23mdk.i586.rpm*
kdegames-1.94-1mdk.i586.rpm*
kdegraphics-1.94-1mdk.i586.rpm*
kdelibs-1.94-6mdk.i586.rpm*
kdelibs-sound-1.94-1mdk.i586.rpm*
kdelist.txt*
kdemultimedia-1.94-1mdk.i586.rpm*
kdenetwork-1.94-1mdk.i586.rpm*
kdepim-1.94-1mdk.i586.rpm*
kdesdk-1.94-1mdk.i586.rpm*
kdesupport-1.94-2mdk.i586.rpm*
kdetoys-1.94-1mdk.i586.rpm*
kdeutils-1.94-1mdk.i586.rpm*
kdoc-1.94-1mdk.noarch.rpm*
klyx-1.94-1mdk.i586.rpm*
koffice-1.94-1mdk.i586.rpm*
mandrake_desk-7.2-4mdk.noarch.rpm*
openssl-0.9.5a-3mdk.i586.rpm*
qt2-2.2-2mdk.i586.rpm*

For X4.0

Mesa-3.3-14mdk.i586.rpm*
Mesa-common-3.3-14mdk.i586.rpm*
XFree86-4.0.1-23mdk.i586.rpm*
XFree86-Mach32-3.3.6-18mdk.i586.rpm*
XFree86-Mach64-3.3.6-18mdk.i586.rpm*
XFree86-Mach8-3.3.6-18mdk.i586.rpm*
XFree86-SVGA-3.3.6-18mdk.i586.rpm*
XFree86-libs-4.0.1-23mdk.i586.rpm*
XFree86-server-4.0.1-23mdk.i586.rpm*
XFree86-xfs-4.0.1-23mdk.i586.rpm*
initscripts-5.27-30mdk.i586.rpm*
lesstif-0.89.9-3mdk.i586.rpm*
lesstif-clients-0.89.9-3mdk.i586.rpm*
lesstif-mwm-0.89.9-3mdk.i586.rpm*

I've got a Rage IIC AGP video card, SoundBlaster LIve sound, 3com3c905c
nic, on an ASSUS P-5 motherboard running an AMD45 K6III and 128megs
ram.  7.1's kde was up and running, after I installed X4.0 it was up and
running problems started with the install of KDE2 beta 4.  And yes I know
it's beta software *grin*  but Beta3 ran so nice on my other box I had to
try 4.  Any ideas on what I didn't install?  Where to look in log
files?  What caliber bullet works best with Linux *grin*  Thanks in advance
for your help.

James