Sarang,
   Your right about where the bug is,  Now I just need to be able to get it
to work.  I uploaded and installed the latest pam.... Now it does the same
thing from login as it does from startx.  It gives me the spash
screen.  Says re-initializing previous session and dies back to the login
screen.  MD5 on the rpm's indicates I've got a good copy (doesn't gaurantee
it just indicates *grin*)  Next attempt will be to build from source.  When
in doubt go to the source hehe.

James

P.S.  Does your kde2 ignore GNOME?