Try em both - I quickly found that gnome was a bit different to the way
I like to work so ended up in kde an been happy ever since - until
forced to use gnome which appears to be the only wm installed on a local
Uni's machines! - reinforced my choice of kde.  Its a purely personnel
choice, use both for awhile and see what works out - its what
keystrokes/mouse control and layout/features that makes the difference
rather thatn programming for a window manager, they just control the
user interface environment.  One worrying point at the moment is that
gnome itself and it seems some apps that run under it (netscape!!!) are
less reliable.

BillK