While you read this, download mtv (or mtvp) from
http://rpmfind.com/
freshmeat.com
or other places on the net.

GTV crashed, the new one I just upgraded to. The old one that comes
stock in MDK7.1 used to work a little bit, and on some files, as long as
you turned audio off. I got SDL 1.1 installed like they wanted (it's a
"lib" so I could keep the old version too) but it crashed big time. No
matter what I do it crashes. GTV used to crash sometimes when the sound
was not right in the file, so I just turned off sound.

So I went back and took a look at "mtv" mpeg player. The "mtvp" program
is FREE, it's a command line version but works real good, the GUI
interface has a nag screen.

I just made a new application link for it in KDE (right click anywhere
on your screen is one way), calling it like this (execute):

/usr/bin/X11/mtvp -z

and named it mtvp.kdelnk, and set the "mime" type to accept video/mpeg

This makes the FREE command line version more automatic.

Went and took out "video/mpeg" on all the other video things (there were
three I think), GTV, "acton" or whatever it is sucks! (in kfm see
"applications" at the bottom of the edit menu to get to your ap links
easy). You have to do this so it picks mtvp as the only thing to play
mpegs with.

And now when I double click on a mpeg file in my file manager, it starts
mtvp and plays X2 size (that's what the -z is for). NEVER CRASHES! plays
sound great, reads files that GTV couldn't.

You change the volume using "kmix" (the little button at the bottom of
your screen) the only thing you lose is the ability to pause or back up.
You can stop it anytime by closing.

The RPM installs man pages, see them for further info.

If anyone finds a better program, please post.