Alann:

Many people have had difficulties with APC's own BackUPS software. I
would recommend you use the non-APC open source daemon

apcupsd

which you can find by searching for this term at www.google.com/linux.

I am currently using this daemon to support an Oracle server running on
a BackUPS 500. It works well and has been extremely reliable so far. The
only pitfall I encountered was the selection of the cable. You have to
tell it exactly what kind of cable you are using or it will not work
properly.

Perhaps this is the case with your APC software? Either way, I still
think apcupsd is the best way to go.

-Stephen-