I am about ready to send one of my linux boxes off to camp (ISP
colocation) and I want to try and make sure I have not forgotten
anything that would either effect security or my ability to remote
administer it.

As far as administration, I have installed ssh, webmin, proftp, and
vnc server. Mostly I will use ssh and webmin. I will not have the ftp
server or vnc server running except when I want to use them.
Essentially the box will only be running Apache/PHP/MySql and postfix
for my web sites. For backup I have installed BRU (that does a full
backup weekly and daily incrementals with 4 tapes rotated weekly),
and mirrordir with a spare hard drive mirrored every night in case my
main drive fails (that is about all I can afford at this point for
what is essentially a hobby at this time). As far as security, I have
installed and run tripwire and will likely run it with some
regularity (though the output of mirrordir tells me every day any
files that have changed which it has to update). I have installed
portsenty and logcheck (which have identified and caught attempts to
scan my box almost daily any time I leave it connected to the net via
current dialup). I have attempted to find and remove obviously
unnecessary services. However I am not sure which services that
Mandrake usually starts by default I can still remove. Apart from
inetd what services should I also consider disabling? Any other
suggestions about preparation would also be appreciated. Thanks.
--
Regards,

Eric Mings Ph.D.