LM 7.2 and beyond (part 2)
(http://forum.mandrakesoft.com/article.php3?sid=20001019091828)

Two days ago I asked your opinions about linux: where we are, what is good, what is
bad, where should we go etc.
Well, I got what I asked for: 71 answer so far.

I'll try to summarize what You said so far, as a base for further discussion:

 First there were people who are basically asking to do
exactly what we did so far:

 Keep all the packages up-to-date
 Add cool new programs to distro
 get rid of junk progs (WE NEED YOUR HELP HERE!)
 Offer our judgement on which programs should be installed, but let the user have the
last word.
 Make instalation and usage easier
 Support more hardware
 Fix the bugs, close security holes
 Improve documentation
 Make servers easier to use too, not only
Desktop machines (we just started doing this)

 Then there were people asking better support
for particular class of devices or better integration
of particular programs:

Faxing
USB, DVD, scanners, digital cameras
other PDA-s (Psion)
nettalk support
wine configuration.

 There was some (rather light) cryticism of several points:

 bad ISDN support (this should be fixed in 7.2)
 neglecting the FAX software
 not uniform enough
 Too many programs doing the same thing
 Config programs do not tell you what they do.
 package selection during install is too much work to do.

 Some people wanted us to do impossible things like offering some commercial programs
for free, solving DVD support problem (folks, this is political, not technical
problem. We can not do much here, it is something you should do!), or basing the
distro on closed-source code
 Others were asking for already existing features, or for features we just introduced
in 7.2. I'll make sure to inform you better in the future...
 And finaly, there were few people who offered completely new ideas on what to do:

Sell merchantising
Pay someone to make some good UNICODE fonts
Publish upgrade-packs instead of new distros.

I hope I didn't forget anything important. If I did, please tell me and I will update
this page. I intend to use it as a reference in further discussion.