On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 09:18:29AM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> LM 7.2 and beyond (part 2)
> (http://forum.mandrakesoft.com/article.php3?sid=20001019091828)
>
> Two days ago I asked your opinions about linux: where we are, what is good, what is
>bad, where should we go etc.
> Well, I got what I asked for: 71 answer so far.
>
> I'll try to summarize what You said so far, as a base for further discussion:
>

>  Config programs do not tell you what they do.
>  package selection during install is too much work to do.

Let me add something here. Currently I believe Mandrake offers a server
install and a desktop install (I haven't tried a 7.x installation, so I
don't know). Fine as far as they go, but how about adding, possibly as a
subset of the server install, a router/firewall install? This would add
the appropriate software, e.g. IP chains tools, at install time. It would
also tweak most config files, e.g. /etc/smb.config so that the computer's
services were a) only visible on the lan(s) inside the firewall, b)
visible to the Internet as well, depending on the user's choice at install
time. This last requirment means a fair amount of sed/awk or perl work, so
I don't know how feasible it is.

In short, the router installation is up and running as a router, and
secure, from the installation.

> Some people wanted us to do impossible things like offering some
> commercial programs for free, solving DVD support problem (folks, this
> is political, not technical problem. We can not do much here, it is
> something you should do!), or basing the distro on closed-source code

Some people apparently don't know what we're doing here. :-)

--

                -- C^2

No windows were crashed in the making of this email.

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley

PGP signature