On Friday 27 October 2000 05:04, you wrote:

> If there is anyone who installed KDE2 final on a MDK7.1 system without
> any problems, please let me know how...

Ok to weigh in on the side of KDE  and Mandrake, I had only one problem
with the installation of KDE, a bad kdebase rpm that didn't properly
finish installing.  Here's how I did it, went to the KDE mirror, grabbed
the mandrake binaries into a directory and rpm -Uvvh'd the whole thing.
then I watched what failed, figured out what needed to be updated, and
updated those.  Sound works, video, legacy apps, EXECEPT for Cervisia
which wants libkfm.so.2.  It looks to me like kfm no longer exists in KDE2
and there is something else to replace it (please correct me if I am
wrong).  In order to correct the bad kdebase rpm, I grabbed the kdebase
tarball and installed that.

I have also (for no real good reason other than something else to do :)
have been slowly replacing the rpms with the tarballs from the KDE
mirrors.  So far I haven't broken anything :)  But, aside from the broken
kdebase rpm, my original install went just fine.

As far as installing rpms to alternte locations, there are two ways I can
think of:
        1) read the man page about --relocate switches to an rpm install.
         A warning however, not all packages CAN be relocated.
        2) install it where it wants to go, make a list of the file locations,
        move the install tree to /opt/kde2 and make a symlink to it from the
        original location.

I can give some more specifics about what I had installed and the way I
went about if someone is interested.