rharvey wrote:

> Is there start to finish documentation how to setup a Linux mandrake box to
> be secure and still provide a web server,ftp server, mail server.
> I have a firewall but due to its limitations I need to put my Linux mandrake
> outside the firewall.
> I don't want it to be hacked and still provide these services.
> the how to's can be tedious reading and you don't  know if the how to for a
> different Linux brand works with mandrake.
> any good books maybe?

Rharvey,

You might check this source

http://www.bastille-linux.org/

their site says the below, but I don't know if it refers to the 1.1.x
bastille . This new version will, according to the site, work on
"non-virgin" machine. Previously it had to be installed RIGHT after
Linux was installed.You can download it there.

"Does Bastille work under Mandrake?

Bastille is confirmed to work under Mandrake 6.0 and 6.1, though it has
trouble with the Apache-specific items. For now, don't ask Bastille to
make any security
modifications to Apache (web server) and you'll have no problems at
all."
Also , try this website

http://www.sans.org/newlook/home.htm

while there, click on Bookstore under publications, then click to review
the guide. They have "Securing Linux: step by step " which was reviewed
in one of the linux mags and seemed to be a nice step-by-step guide
which you asked about.

Jim Pendley