fred

>>> expert 11/06/00 18:23 >>>

Hello,

I just had a machine go down on me yesterday.  Kept giving me "no free space on drive"
errors.  It turned out that my /VAR partition was messed up, and after forcing a
check, indeed it was full.

I found a directory called MAIL inside /VAR/LOG that had THOUSANDS of files in it,
taking up literally hundreds of megabytes.  They appeared to be all log files from
Postfix, my SMTP program.

My question #1: Why are these here, when I have my mail log as: /VAR/LOG/MAIL.LOG?
That has been working fine.  Why is there a second location that seems to be keeping
log files forever?

Question #2: I downloaded Tom's linux floppy, and created it.  I booted this on my
system, and tried using the fsck, as well as exfsck (not sure of exact syntax).  Both
programs reported that any drive I checked was not a ext2 file system (which they
are), and would not go any further.  I did:

fsck /dev/hda7

Why didn't this work?  I ended up forcing my Mandrake 7.1 to do a check during bootup
by changing the year to 2001 and rebooting.  It checked, fixed errors, and all was
well.  I had errors on two out of four partitions.  I tried the fsck from Tom's disk
on all four partitions, and it would not work.

What did I do wrong?

And more importantly, how do I turn off Postfix's creating additional log files in
/var/log/mail/???

Bob