Using the smp installed kernel on Mandrake 7.2 on my dual
Celeron BP6, after running for 1 to 10 minutes, the computer
just stops functioning. The display freezes, the mouse
cursor will not respond to the mouse movements, the
keyboard gets no response and a ping from across the network
gets no response. Using the up kernel, there are no problems
except the lack of speed. Lilo has vga=788 for the smp
kernel. When I set vga=normal or extended with the stock smp
kernel, The computer freezes immediately on login.

I tried to compile a custom kernel using the 7.2 source
code, but the ipchains section has a bug and would not
compile, so I took that out and with the resultant kernel
the problem
continued. Since my rh6.2 installed 2.2.17 smp kernel works
fine, I compiled the 2.2.17 kernel from kernel.org and it
works ok except the usb port does not work. I will try the
2.4.0-test10
tomorrow, in the meantime does anyone have any thoughts
(constructive thoughts you perverts)? Thanks.

Tom Berkley