I don't have any problems with uniprocessor on XFree 4.01,
just smp mode and I think that its related to the sound
module. When I recompile the 2.2.17-24 kernel with the
sblive sound driver and no sound modules then the smp kernel
works ok. Its only with the sound modules that the problem
occurs. Also using the mandrake kernel-source-2.2.17-24 when
compiling in the sblive driver, the sound does not work. If
I use the kernel.org 2.2.17 source code, the compiled in
sound driver works just fine. Mandrake 7.2 (and Redhat 7.0)
kernels are both broken in this regard.

Tom Berkley