On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 11:30:53PM -0800, Tom Berkley wrote:
> oops
>
> you have to use the i option to get the package name info so the
> resultant command is:
>
> rpm -qipl >rpminfo.out
>
> and then use an editor or more or less to find your files. For the
> mandrake 7.2 installation cd rpms that gives about a 6mb file that you
> can bzip2 to less than 700kb and still be abke ti peruse it with the
> 'less' command directly.

I do something a bit different. Since most disties these days are multiple
CD disties and the paths may vary with the CD, I like to get the complete
path to the RPM in there as well. I do this with:

find /mnt/cdrom -iname "*.rpm" -print -exec rpm -qilp {} \; >> packages.disty.txt

Then I feed each CD in turn:

mount /mnt/cdrom
find /mnt/cdrom -iname "*.rpm" -print -exec rpm -qilp {} \; >> packages.disty.txt
eject /mnt/cdrom

Before each CD I use Emacs' revert-buffer facility to read in the file
packages.disty.txt and add the name or number of the CD-ROM to be
processed. "CD-ROM 2", e.g.

That way, I can search the file for an item. Upon finding it, I can then
do a reverse search on the phrase "CD-ROM" to locate the CD-ROM the
relevant package is on. And I can cut and paste the complete path into an
xterm ready for installation.

--

                -- C^2

No windows were crashed in the making of this email.

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley