I have recently pieced together an old Pentium 100 with 32MB of RAM and
2.9gigs of hard drive space to serve as a file and print server for a
Mac. I installed Mandrake 7.1, reduced the installation to approx. 300
MB. Just the bare bones of the Mandrake distro, no KDE and no GNOME pure
text based interface!!

I choose Mandrake 7.1 as my distro because it allowed me to choose
individual software packages to install onto the computer. This way I
saved on wasted disk space and increased the amount of available shared
disk space.

The majority of the hardware was detected and setup during the
installation process. I'm only having problems seting up both of the
Network cards. The computer has one Data-Link DE-220 ISA and another
Data-Link DE-250 ISA. ( NE 2000 Compatibles ) Both of these cards IRQ's
and I/O's are configured through DOS (real mode) based software.

To configure the cards I created an MS-DOS boot disk that loaded the
configuration software into a RAMDISK and then executed the program. The
DE220 is configured to IRQ 11 and I/O 0x300 while the DE250 is
configured to IRQ 10 and I/O 0x280. Now, I'm running into problems
getting the kernel ( 2.2.15 ) to detect both network cards under the
same module ( NE ). I edited the /etc/conf.modules as shown below:
(thanks to the writers of the Linux-Ethernet-HOWTO)

alias eth0 ne
alias eth1 ne
options ne io=0x300 irq=11
options ne io=0x280 irq=10

I can modprobe eth0 and get it working but I cannot get the second NIC
(eth1) to be recognized by the kernel. How do you configure these
arguments to recognize two NIC under the same module?? And do I have to
pass the "ether" armument to the kernel at boot time to get both of
these NICs working under the same module??

Thanks in advance

Stef