About adding that scsi adapter:

insmod aic7xxx
and
modprobe aic7xxx
works fine. I get an error message when I run modprobe that says 'Note:
conf.modules is more recent than modules.dep' but if I follow modprobe with
the aic7xxx it loads fine. What am I doing wrong here?

I added line 4 to my conf.modules and it never loads. What am I missing
here? I tried renaming my conf.modules to modules.conf with no results. I
get the feeling that my bootup process isn't even trying to load modules,
although there is a line in there about adding my ethernet card and that
works well enough.

So, what I want to accomplish is almost there, how do I finish it? I can't
just insmod it since I want to move /var to one of the new drives :(

>>I would do it a little different, but your approach wasn't wrong though.

>> 1) turn off computer
>> 2) install hardware
>> 3) turn on
>> 4) add alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx to /etc/modules.conf
>> 5) run cfdisk/fdisk to partition the drive
>> 6) I'd choose reiserfs as the fs for the new drive, but that's up to you
>> 7) mkreiserfs /dev/sda1 (or mke2fs /dev/sda1)
>> 8) add /dev/sda1 /var reiserfs defaults 0 0 to /etc/fstab
>> 9) mount (-t reiserfs) /dev/sda1 /mnt/newvar
>>10) tar cfvsp - -C /var | tar xfvsp - -C /mnt/newvar
>>    (now you have a copy of /var in /mnt)
>>11) mv /var /varold
>>12) umount /mnv/newvar
>>13) mount /var
>>14) rm -rf /varold

>>> 6) Run diskdrake, mount the drive, hopefully it takes care of fstab yes?