Are you running Aurora for the standard Mandrake graphical bootup? If
so, you need to edit /etc/rc.d/rc, and make sure there is a line that
looks like this:
        export DISPLAY=:1
about 1/4 of the way down the file, under the comment/heading
        # Start Aurora output

Actually, to give you the whole context:

        # Start Aurora output
        exec 3<&0
        exec 4>&1
        exec 5>&2
        if [ -n "$aurora" ] && /sbin/Monitor query ; then
                /usr/bin/chvt 12
                export DISPLAY=:1
                exec < /etc/aurora/output
                exec > /etc/aurora/input
                exec 2>&1
        ...(etc.)

Hope this helps. I am running Mandrake 7.2, I dodn't catch if you were
running the same version or not. If not, the code may be a little bit
different - I don't know.

Dave