On November 21, 2000 07:27 am, you wrote:

> I am new to the Mandrake system but an experienced Linux user (SuSE,
> Caldera), I made two successful installations of Mandrake 7.2 and it worked
> perfectly. But now when I try to make a new installation the installation
> itself seems to work perfectly but on reboot everything just stops and the
> system hangs when trying to initiate with the /etc/re.sysinit file, all
> it's calls get the reply 'Permission Denied' and then everything stops.

Probably unrelated, but the only time I have ever had a problem with Mandrake
hanging during the boot sequence when I turned on hard drive optimizations
during the install.

What you could do is boot from the install CD, select the expert installation
and go through the install until you get to the disk partitioning section.
Hit alt-ctrl-f2 to get to a prompt, mount your root partition under /mnt,
then chroot to /mnt. Then, make sure /etc/rc.sysinit is a symbolic link to
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and ensure the permissions on it are -rwxr-xr-x  root
root.

Never heard of this happening before. Good luck...

-Chris