On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 01:49:43PM +0100, EagleIce wrote:
> thank's all for your concern: chris spencer, civileme, rune kallhovd and
> others which names i've lost. this seems to have been the problem:
>
> I noticed one thing different in the Mandrake fstab file (I can access the LM
> files from SuSE) compared to the SuSE fstab,  in Drake I read:
> /dev/hda8 / ext2 noauto,user,rw 1 1
> which looked a bit weird to me, in SuSE it's:
> /dev/hda5 / ext2         defaults 1 1
>
> I changed the file in LM and tryed to boot; VOILA! all of a sudden it worked!
>
> Now the question is: if this was the entire problem, how come a fresh
> Mandrake 7.2 install is configures itself in that way? 'noauto,user,rw' for
> the root partition in fsab is totally illogical, no wonder the whole system
> flips out on people when this happens.
Tell me about it!
A / partition configured as 'noauto', now, THAT is completely senseless!
Are you sure this is the work of the install program? If so, could it be
possible to have some feedback from the mandrake crew, to give some
explainations, patch or other nasty things to check after install?

> I am evaluating the Mandrake 7.2 dist to eventually use it as education
> material in a course for Linux newbies, where I will teach them to install
> and configure a Linux OS. So, if this is an isolated problem only on 'some'
> of the CD's distributed and not all, I would like to know.
>
> Rune; if you haven't got another Linux installed then perhaps you should
> consider installing one to be able to access your Mandrake and check the
> fstab file. I always have one Linux in shape when testing another one..:-)

I do that with a slack CD. No need to waste precious HD space...

Flupke
--
        << There's no place like ~! >>