On Wed, 22 Nov 2000 23:38:42 BillK wrote:
> Used to have this on an old 486: the "Li" is actually a message saying
> "I got this far through the boot".  There are fixes but I have not the
> time to search for them.  Try "man 5 lilo.conf" for how to set the
> verbose flag for progress messages.  I think I found the original
> solution in the RedHat knowledgebase.  It was a list of causes for
> failing at each stage of the boot.

Usually that Li msg is due to misconfiguring the disk in lilo, say:
- Install the distro (so lilo) with LBA mode on, and the loose the
  BIOS lba setting by a reset, battery exhausted or similar
- lilo.conf has a flag 'lba' or 'compact' or 'linear' that is not
  supported by your disk+bios combo.

In Mandrake its easy to install in non LBA mode, and the check the
lba flag in the bootloader installation window, so does not work...

--
Juan Antonio Magallon Lacarta                                 #> cd /pub
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     #> more beer

Linux 2.2.18-pre23-vm #3 SMP Wed Nov 22 22:33:53 CET 2000 i686 unknown