Assume host1 is the name where the printer is located, and host2 is
the name of the box in which you are trying to configure remote
printing.

Assume printing on host1 works and its /etc/printcap looks like

#
# Please don't edit this file directly unless you know what you are
doing!
# Be warned that the control-panel printtool requires a very strict
format!
# Look at the printcap(5) man page for more info.
#
# This file can be edited with the printtool in the control-panel.

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL POSTSCRIPT 300x300 letter {} PostScript Default 0
lp:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

On host2 the default /etc/printcap should look the same.

Do four things:

1. make backup copies of /etc/printcap on both machines

   cp /etc/printcap /etc/printcap.orig

2.  put
     host2
   in the /etc/hosts.lpd file of host1

3.  make the /etc/printcap file on host2 look like the following
(exactly)

#
# Please don't edit this file directly unless you know what you are
doing!
# Be warned that the control-panel printtool requires a very strict
format!
# Look at the printcap(5) man page for more info.
#
# This file can be edited with the printtool in the control-panel.

##PRINTTOOL3## REMOTE POSTSCRIPT 300x300 letter {} PostScript Default 0
lp:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :rm=host2:\
        :rp=lp:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

4. restart the print daemons on both host1 and host2

   On each machine type
   /etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd restart

Note: you could just reboot both machines if you wish.

Now use printtool to print test pages if you wish.

--Cheers,
 -sen