I do the following with samba in our office:

(put this in you /etc/smb.conf)
----------------CUT HERE------------------------
[pdfprint]
        path=/tmp
        guest ok = No
        printable = Yes
        printer driver = HP Color LaserJet 5/5M PS
        comment = PDF Generator

        print command = ps2pdf %s %s.pdf && mv -f %s.pdf ~%u/newpdf.pdf
&& echo\
"Please find your pdf at file://\\caeprintserver\\%u\newpdf.pdf, and
copy it som\
ewhere else before you print another" | smbclient -M %u -U Printserver
----------------CUT HERE------------------------

Install a PS print driver (HP Color LaserJet 5/5M PS works) on the
clients, then if you print to the machine, it should make the psotscript
a pdf, copy it to the home directory, and send you a popup message (I
also had one which sends an email message, I would actually like to mail
the file, but I was having trouble with MIME attachements).

For straight postscript:

----------------CUT HERE------------------------
[psprint]
        path=/tmp
        guest ok = No
        printable = Yes
        comment = PostScript Generator
        Printer driver = HP DesignJet 750C/PS
        print command = mv -f %s ~%u/newps.ps && echo "Please find your
ps at fi\
le://\\caeprintserver\\%u\newps.ps, and copy it somewhere else before
you print\
another" | smbclient -M %u -U Printserver

The Designjet handles up to A0 (only in postscript, for some reason PDFs
don't work)

The coolest thing is a windows test page in a pdf !

Buchan