i tried the fontpath variables (as well as copying the fonts to the existing
font directory, but no luck, I've read that Cups does support ttf, but no
info on how.

The gimp print driver worked great, is the quality of the foomatic driver the
same as the cups driver?

On a better note, i'm about to upload K-Epson Tools onto cooker, if anyone
wants the binary rpm, you can get it ..
http://www.tecpronet.com/linux/kepsontools-0.1.2-1mdk.i586.rpm

source at
http://www.tecpronet.com/linux/kepsontools-0.1.2-1mdk.src.rpm