On Wednesday 29 November 2000 11:36 am, you wrote:

> hmm.. seems like that the kernel only thinks it has 64M ram, but adding
> append="mem=256M" to lilo just makes it freeze after bootup, had to
> remove this earlier because of that error.  This might be my problem,
> but still, shouldn't X with blackbox run quite smoothly on a 64M system?
>  Can it be something with the hard-drive?

Compiling programs and just running X shouldn't be touching the hard drive
often enough for a slow or bad hd to make a difference.  I'm concerned
about the boot freeze with the append line though.  A kernel panic or
freeze during the boot process will result if you tell it that it has more
memory than actually exists.  I would check again with a lower mem number
like 128M, and I would try it as arguments to the lilo prompt for ease of
testing, this way you don't have to drop into single user mode to rescue
the box.  If there is 256M installed and it can't seem to find any of it,
I would look at the amount of memory detected by another operating system
(ie Windows, get a boot disk and run the mem command).

As far as the minimum requirements for X and blackbox, I don't really
know, I'm not sure of blackbox's footprint.  I have noticed that the
footprint for X 3.3.6 and twm is about 85M, and X 4.0.1 seems to eat as
much memory as it can get its hands on (from 118M to 240M).

--
Matthew Micene
Systems Development Manager